Friday, December 12, 2008

Headed for the Galapagos

I have many adventures to tell you about in the rainforest. I was followed by a very friendly tapir that my friend Marcia and I named Wachita (after Wichita), gave a wooly monkey a drink from a Dasani bottle and he patted my leg and held my hand ( more later about my wooly monkey friend!), and rescued a lipstick from a naughty spider monkey. I wish I had the time to tell you all the details of my rainforest adventures right now, but we are headed for three days in the Galapagos this morning. We have to be at the airporto an hour and a half before the flight leaves so they can search our bags. Then when we arrive in the Galapagos they will search our bags thoroughly so they can make sure we do not bring any ´foreign´things that can contanimate the islands. They call this process quarentine. We cannot bring the items we purchased in the rainforest since they contain seeds and other native items which could in theory germinate and be a problem to the delicate balance to the islands.
We will be able to go snorkeling and viewing the Charles Darwin observatory. I am looking forward to seeing the wildlife that I have heard so much about.
I will not be able to blog for the next three days since I will be on the boat in the remote islands.

2 comments:

wmdavis said...

How exciting! A tapir AND a spider monkey! Oh my gosh that's so cool! Oh, and way to go Mom... have to save the lipstick! =) It sounds like you're having a blast. I expect lots and lots of pictures (don't forget my blue footed boobie please) and lots of stories. I love you.
Whitney

ITsaVelma said...

I love you too, Whitney. I am excited to tell you stories about the animals and I will post pictures on Friday, Dec. 19th. I am going to spend the day blogging. I have written down the events on paper (what a pain when it is soooo much easier to type everything..but there is limited technology in Ecuador!) I have looked over the pictures. I took over 1,000! I also know that my companions on the trip took some fabulous pictures. Many of them had really nice cameras.